Thursday, May 17, 2012

Lizzie - Day 18 Catching Up


Day 16 – Mon May 14:
Weight: 123.0
Exercise: 6.6 mi run (I timed it at 57:02, but I stopped my watch for probably a minute when I had to run around construction at night and wasn’t sure where I was going yet. I ended up running on the wrong side of a fence next to some train tracks for over a mile but finally the fence changed to an easily hoppable one)
Food: 1600 calories. 15.9% protein, 31.5% fat, 54.8% carbs.
Breakfast: oatmeal with milk
Snacking: jalapeño Popchips and sweet potato Popchips (the jalapeño were delicious but the sweet potato had too much fake stuff in it), 2 Ghiradelli chocolate squares, sour belts candy, Thin mint cookies
Mid Afternoon Lunch: cranberry juice, bolillo roll with an egg and ½ small avocado
Post workout: coconut water, cup of milk with Nanogreens supplement
Dinner: salmon fillet with soy sauce and sugar, ½ sweet potato with butter and cinnamon, 2 Ghiradelli squares.
Monday I gave in to junk food in the early afternoon, but the rest of my day was awesome. My egg/avocado sandwich and salmon/sweet potato dinner made me so happy! And my run felt super strong, despite not having done that 6.6 mi loop in months.

Day 17 – Tues May 15:
Weight: 121.5
Exercise: Bob Harper’s Kettlebells: Sculpted Body dvd (45 min), 4 mi run (34:38)
This new kettlebell dvd is the most intense dvd I have! I was wiping my face from sweat multiple times. I barely had any energy for my run but I wanted to take advantage of the time I had, so I still ran at a good pace except I did walk for ~45sec 4 times.
Food: 1609 calories. 14.7% protein, 37.7% fat, 50.2% carbs.
Breakfast: oatmeal with milk
Lunch/Snacks: 1 Ghiradelli chocolate square, Laraball, homemade banana oatmeal cookies, small handful walnuts, ~1 cup fruit (I cut up a ton of cantaloupe, mango, pear, and kiwi)
Post Workout: coconut water, 2 eggs with ½ small avocado and tomato, another banana oatmeal cookie
Dinner: ground pork stir fried with onion, yellow bell pepper and zucchini with golden mountain sauce and sugar, 1 cup jasmine rice
Today was another awesome day for both eating and exercising! I was able to limit myself to only 1 square of chocolate and I actually cooked most of the dinner today! Normally for dinner if we're cooking meat, I cut most of the vegetables and Bach does all the work on the stove, but this time he mainly just supervised. I never know how to season meat!

Day 18 – Wed May 16:
Weight: 121.0
Exercise: none (I had a final today and was either studying or procrastinating in front of the computer all day. I really should have done a dvd during my procrastination!)
Food: 1527 calories. 11.2% protein, 31.1% fat, 64.7% carbs.
Breakfast/Lunch: Dat’s homemade bread with an egg, ½ small avocado, and random greens (chard and something else)
Snacks: banana oatmeal cookies, 1 cup cantaloupe, 2 Ghiradelli squares, Laraball, Kashi Golden Goodness cereal (I was eating this by the handful while freaking out before my final L) chocolate chip cookie dough Larabar (ingredients: cashews, dates, chocolate chips, sea salt)
Dinner…?: 1 cup milk with Nanogreens supplement.
I feel like I’ve improved so much with emotional/mindless snacking, but snacking when I have homework due or a test I’m stressing out about is my one weakness. I shouldn’t stress when this class I’m taking is only for my own experience and to add to my resume – but I can’t not do well! Thankfully because I’ve become more aware of my eating, I didn’t feel the need to still eat the same size dinner as I normally do because I knew I had eaten enough and wasn’t hungry.

 _________________________________________________________________

 
Banana Oatmeal Cookies!

So a month ago I went to the library to look for some recipe inspiration. I stumbled upon “Dr. Gott’s No Flour No Sugar Cookbook.” Dr. Gott has a weekly newspaper column answering all types of health-related questions, and I read his column pretty frequently growing up. One of the things I remembered was his No Flour No Sugar diet that he recommended to anyone trying to lose weight. I definitely think that no flour or no added sugar will help anyone’s weight loss if they’re having too much, though I didn’t know what to expect with a cookbook for it. I don’t really cook with either unless I’m baking, or adding a little bit of sugar to cooking meat. I was mostly disappointed with the book – recipes mostly just substituted “flourless bread” for normal bread and artificial sweeteners instead of sugar. I’m not exactly excited for recipes that call for packets of Splenda! Gross! However, I did find one “dessert” recipe that is completely healthy and guilt-free – banana oatmeal cookies!

The recipe calls for:
3 ripe bananas (I used 2 large)
2 cups quick-cooking oats (I used rolled oats, not sure how it affected it)
1 cup chopped walnuts
½ cup raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
1tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt

That’s it! I was skeptical that it could actually make something I can call a cookie. You just mix all the ingredients and form into ~36 cookies (mine made 32), and bake 10-15 min. Nothing technically needs to cook, so just bake it the way you want it. I calculated that each cookie was ~58 calories, with 1.4g protein, 2.75g fat, 7.6g carbs, 1.1g fiber, and 3g sugar. I was pretty happy with them, though I actually like the taste of the mixture before it was baked better, I think because the bananas are sweeter before they’re baked. Moral of the story – these are good, but you can also just add bananas, walnuts, and raisins to oatmeal for an even faster and sweeter snack/meal.

I would've been happy eating straight out of the bowl!


Ta-da!

No comments:

Post a Comment